Monday, January 17, 2011

Wow, What A Day!

Remember how I had that "slight but persistent toothache"? Well, it got bad. Literally kept me up all night last night. It was hurting a LOT. So, Daddy got me an appointment with a dentist. And Momma took me. We figured that they'd take an x-ray, give me antibiotics and send me home. Well, it ended up more complicated than that. After taking the x-ray, I was informed that I had a dying nerve that had to be removed immediately. Also an infection that was getting into the bone.
He decided that it would be best to give me an emergency root canal to remove the nerve. Which quite honestly freaked me out a bit... Root canals are one of those dreaded things. I tried to stay calm though. They actually gave me laughing gas (why is it called laughing gas??) to help me stay calm. At first it was fine, but after a few minutes, I started shaking really hard, couldn't control it. Thankfully by the time the dentist returned the worst of the shaking was over. Don't think he even knew I'd had a shaking fit. :-P When he got back though there was another problem, I wasn't numbed enough. So he numbed me further, however because of all of the pressure, he was unable to numb me completely. So I could at least somewhat feel everything he was doing to me during the root canal. It hurt. Oh well though, I toughed it. It wasn't that bad, and it was better than the possibility of losing my tooth or letting the infection keep growing. An infection that reaches the bone can become deadly. In spite of the pain, the root canal went very smoothly.
I now have a hole in my tooth that will be filled in about ten days. Right now it needs to drain.

I must say that the dentist I had was really good! Confident, likable, good at what he did and seemed to really respect his patients. He even called not long ago just make sure that I was okay and that all was going well like it was supposed to. I would totally go to him again!

So yeah, I'm exhausted, and I've had an emergency surgery today. Here's hoping tomorrow isn't as crazy!

God bless!
~Katie K.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! It's sorta like when my "stomach ache" turned into needed emergency surgery to have my appendix removed! I'll keep ya in my prayers! -hugs- God Bless!
~Rachel

Marissa said...

thank you for your comment!! Are you feeling better?? hope you are having a wonderful weekend :)

with love,
Samarah

Anonymous said...

wow katie...that is some pain! I remember when I got my wisdom teeth pulled..I woke up in the middle of action and that was no good at all!!! I screamed and cried for a HALF AN HOUR!!! =P